Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hourly Earnings, Part 1: Wholesale

This post is the beginning of a research project. It is the first of several posts on the same topic that I will write throughout this year, and possibly beyond. My pottery business has grown considerably in the past two years, but my ambivalence to let go of my graphic design practice continues. I realized this past winter that I know how much I earn per hour as a designer, because my contracts are based on an hourly rate. It's not an exact number, because it doesn't account for expenses, or for the time I spend doing non-billable work. But it's a pretty good idea. So what I want is the same sense of "knowing" about my pottery business. How much am I really earning per hour by making pots? I don't need an exact answer, just a pretty good idea.


I have heard and read lots of discussions on this subject, but they all come from a backwards and presumptuous point of view, i.e. how much of an hourly wage should I anoint upon myself before I sell my pots? This is a pointless and unresolvable question, because the intangible factors that differentiate every potter are so vast and varied. An exceptionally talented and skillful master should be rewarded as such for his/her time, while an aspiring amateur's time can literally be worth less than zero.


So instead of pondering what I should earn I am going to calculate what I did earn.


Here's my methodology ... whenever possible I will separate pottery sales into quantifiable portions. I will keep track of the time I spend to complete the work. I will subtract any applicable expenses from the sales amount, then divide what remains by the number of hours spent.


The "quantifiable portions" will include wholesale orders, retail art shows and festivals, open houses, registries, etc. (Maybe I'll even settle the debate between the predictable volumes/lower prices of wholesale, vs. the unpredictable sales/longer hours/higher prices of retail?)


How I price my pots ... it's a long-term process. New pot designs start as low-priced prototypes. The prices and designs of fast sellers evolve over time. Slow sellers get eliminated. I compare new designs with the price points of my established good sellers. I also compare my prices with the other potters who are working at the same level as me. I don't want to overprice, because I think a handmade pot is an everyday, down-to-earth object, and should be affordable to average pottery fans. However, I am more careful not to underprice my pots. Underpricing is amateurish, indulgent, and harmful to other professional potters.


Now on to the calculation ... this first calculation is for a large wholesale order. It is the largest order that I wrote at the Buyers Market in February. It contains a good mix of low, medium, and high priced items, therefore I think this will be a good measure of wholesaling in general.


I kept track of the time spent working on it, including the following tasks:

  • preparing clay (recycling, pugging, wedging)
  • building pots (throwing, trimming, altering, handbuilding)
  • loading and unloading the kiln
  • glazing
  • studio cleanup
  • applying hang tags to finished pots
  • packing for delivery
  • accounting


I did not track the time spent on tasks that didn't specifically apply to the order, including glaze mixing, or the afternoon I spent carrying a year's supply of clay down the stairs into my basement studio.


From the total dollar value of the order, I subtracted the following expenses which I could quantify:

  • clay
  • shipping boxes
  • a percentage of my Buyers Market expenses, equal to the percentage of Buyers Market sales that this order represented (by far the biggest expense related to this order)


I did not subtract the following expenses which I could not quantify:

  • glazes
  • tools/equipment use and maintenance
  • utilities
  • bubble wrap and packing peanuts (some purchased, some recycled)


The dollar amount that remained was divided by the total hours spent. And in the end I made $24.74 per hour. My official response to this is "not too shabby!" I feared that I was making less than minimum wage, but the real answer is nowhere close to that. The answer fits my self-evaluation as an up-and-coming, but bona fide professional potter. My time has a good value, but the value still has room to grow, as do my work efficiencies, craft skill, and business development.


One final note about punching an hourly timeclock ... this is not a job that I can do for 8 hours a day like a normal job. The longest I was able to work in one day is 5.5 hours, and at that point my elbows and hamstrings were aching! My usual workday is more like 3 or 4 hours. So that's another issue that I need to address, how to reduce the physical strain of making pots so that I can be more productive per day. (Then again, having worked in the corporate world, I know that many people with 8 hour-per-day jobs don't spend 5.5 of them being productive, so maybe I shouldn't worry about that.)


Coming soon ... I will repeat this calculation for other wholesale orders over the next few months. Maybe different types of orders will have a different result, or maybe I'll get better as the year goes on.

5 comments:

  1. This was very illuminating, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw your hourly wage! Very much deserved, too. I look forward to seeing more analyses of orders/events. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found your blog. i'm definitely interested in hearing more about this. i've been struggling lately w/ the same issue though havent' gotten around to figuring it out. maybe this will help get me off my fanny and get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mea;

    Take a look at my article "Pricing our Work" at www.clayart.ca You must becareful when you work out your hourly wage by meeting orders. You may be working yourself to death just to raise your hourly wage.

    The best method to use to determine your hourly wage is by maintaining your books and then looking at the positive money left over at the end of the year and then dividing the figure number of hours you worked.

    In order to do this you have to punch in and out and keep the records. You have to take into consideration all your expenses in order to meet the orders you send out.

    The greatest mistake is to undervalue our work and time. We must set an hourly wage for our selves then try to meet it.

    Using your peers to determine your price tickets is only good to give you an idea about pricing after you find out how much it costs to make the similar object.

    If you use your peers pricing without knowing how much it costs to make an object you could find your self going broke.

    Food for Thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terrance,

    I have read your article before, and I found it very informative and important, and I recommend that all professional craft artists should read it too.

    For me (and you don't need to agree with me), your article is just the starting point of the equation. Calculating materials costs is straightforward math, and most people can handle it easily. But as your article points out, the materials cost for a mug is about $6. Even by 1996 dollars, that's pretty low. Back when I first started selling some very amateurish bad pots, turning a profit was never a problem. That bar is very low.

    The hard part (and this is the point of my project) is that vast vague area between materials cost and marketplace value, and this is where most potters struggle. And I believe (again you don't have to agree with me) that nobody can calculate marketplace viability in advance. So for those potters who are wrestling with a sense of their own value (like me), I'm trying to say "stop pondering ... and start calculating!"

    (sidebar: of course, there are lots of potters who are still managing to dig a money pit. "Wannabe pottery business" is what I call them. I am not writing my research for them! I am writing this for people with a higher sense of responsibility towards earning a livable income, with an honest respect for their craft.)

    You wrote: "You must becareful when you work out your hourly wage by meeting orders. You may be working yourself to death just to raise your hourly wage." Thanks for your concern but this is an incorrect assumption about me.

    Again, I am grateful that you provided a thorough roadmap for calculating materials costs. All artists should start there, but understand that navigating the marketplace is a lot more complicated than that.

    -Mea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mea;

    How are you doing with your evaluation on your business. You have had about two years to practice your theory. I am interested in how you made out.

    Terrance

    ReplyDelete